Samsung Electronics has launched a tougher and more durable variant of its Compact 2017 S-series flagship, dubbed as Galaxy S8 Active for a limited time exclusively on AT& T. The highlight of this rugged smartphone is that it comes with IP68 certification which makes it water and dust resistant and it’s also MIL-STD-810G certified for shock and shatter resistance.
Or in other words, if you want a Galaxy S8 like smartphone experience, but intend to use your phone in extreme environment, the Galaxy S8 Active is what you can buy.
“With the combination of its rugged and durable design and instant access to the DIRECTV NOW app, you can stream movies and TV at the pool, the beach or on the ski slopes anytime and anywhere”, said Kevin Petersen, Senior Vice President, Device and Network Services Marketing, AT&T
Design and Display
The S8 Active comes with a metal unibody design and has a protective bumper that shields against shock, abrasion, tilting or twisting. The back cover also has a rugged, tough texture for a secure grip. The Galaxy S8 Active features a 5.8 inch Quad HD+ Super AMOLED Infinity display with 18.5:9 aspect ratio and 570 ppi that are protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
Hardware and Storage
The specs are about same as the original Galaxy S8. It’s powered by Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 mobile platform which is assisted by Adreno 540 GPU and 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM. This Android 7.1 Nougat running smartphone has a 64GB of inbuilt storage that can be expanded by up to another 2TB via the MicroSD card slot.
Camera and Battery
The smartphone flaunts a dual pixel rear camera with 12MP resolution sensor, f/1.7 aperture, LED flash light and 80-degree wide angle lens. It also comes with an 8MP auto focus frontal sensor with f/1.7 aperture. Galaxy S8 Active employs a massive 4000mAh battery (significantly more the Galaxy S8) with fast charging support.
Features of Galaxy S8 Active include 4G VoLTE, 3G / HSPA+, EDGE / GPRS, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth v 5.0, GPS with GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST and 3.5mm audio jack.
The Galaxy S8 Active gives you access to voice over LTE (VoLTE), to take advantage of certain AT&T services including :
- AT&T NumberSyncSM – Gives customers more ways to use their smartphone number on any compatible device.
- AT&T Wi-Fi Calling – Allows you to talk and text from almost anywhere you can get an active Wi-Fi connection.
- AT&T HD VoiceSM – Provides crystal clear call quality with reduced background noise.
- AT&T Video Calling – Let’s you make and receive HD Voice calls combined with real-time video.
- Advanced Messaging – Allows you to send high-resolution photos and larger video files, up to 10MB per attachment.
- AT&T Enhanced Push-to-Talk – Makes it possible to communicate with coworkers and work teams over 4G LTE and Wi-Fi.
It also comes with a fingerprint scanner mounted on the rear and an iris scanner on the front for security. It also comes with Bixby support, which is a personal and intelligent voice assistant. Bixby includes intelligent vision, voice, a personalized home page and smart reminders.
Price and Availability
Galaxy S8 Active comes in two color options Meteor Gray and Titanium Gold. It sells at USD $28.34 for 30 months which means it costs somewhere around USD $850. It is exclusively available on AT&T from August 8, 2017. AT&T customers can pre-order the new Samsung Galaxy S8 Active.
AT&T Exclusive Offers
Customers can avail of any of these offers from AT& T when they purchase the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active or any of latest Galaxy smartphones :
- Get a Galaxy S8 FREE when you add a new line on AT& T Next® and add DIRECTV
- Get $500 towards a Samsung TV purchased online when you buy an eligible smartphone on AT& T Next and add DIRECTV
- Get a Samsung Gear S2 for 99-cents or the Gear S3 for $49.99 on a 2-year agreement when you purchase the smartphone on AT& T Next.
- Get up to $200 in credits when you buy the eligible smartphone on AT&T Next and trade in an eligible smartphone.
Watch the video of Samsung Galaxy S8 Active smartphone showcasing its features and apps exclusively from AT& T.
As of now, it’s exclusively available on AT& T for a limited time, hope it’s made available in other countries as well. Let us know in the comments below if you would consider buying the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active.